Sunday, November 13, 2011

Fall Colors Trip Report & Last Backlogged Project Posted

Howdy folks, just a small update Smile.   I’ve posted this years Fall Colors Rally and the last of the back logged projects, but since I like to keep things organized by the date of when it originally happened, they’re actually posted and set to the dates of rally back in October.

So, to keep ya up to speed and simplify things, I decided I’d post a link back report to the story to help ya find ‘em. 

As I finally knock down the last of the incomplete or missing tales on the blog, I’ll post similar entries to this one to help readers catch up on what they’ve missed. Smile


Backlogged Projects

  1. Backlogged Projects: Water Pump Swap

2011 Fall Colors Rally

  1. 2011 Northwest Fall Colors Rally–Heading North to Sauk
  2. 2011 Fall Colors Rally–East to Winthrop!
  3. 2011 Fall Colors Rally–Winthrop, we are here, now where’s the Potluck?!
  4. 2011 Fall Colors Rally–Cider, Germans that aren’t, and Leavenworth
  5. 2011 Fall Colors Rally—Last Stop, Smallwoods Harvest and then DISASTER!


  1. Once again I would like to mention you have a great blog and vintage camper! I am currently restoring a 1975 Red Dale camper and would like to know what type of paint and the application prosess you used, when you repainted yours? Thank You, Phil

  2. Great stuff Matt and I love the pics! Sorry to hear about Kit but you'll tinker and have her back to new in no time. Cheers! ~M

  3. Anonymous:

    Repainted her using Rustoleum rattle cans, classic Rustoleum, 2 coats, be certain to sand her or at least go over her with a wirebrush to remove anything loose or oxidizing.

    My only regret is I didn't clear coat her afterwards (Also available from Rustoleum).

    KIT's an easy fix, I just need to snap a couple measurements and have Terry weld me up a piece of angle iron with a piece of flat iron on it as an ear so I can use multiple cross angled lag bolts to install a new tie down point.

    If I could access where that tie down actually came through, it would have been simply a matter of getting a piece of plate steel, drilling a hole in it and then bolting the eye bolt back in place again, but the one tie down that failed is the one I can't reach (Its buried under the furnace).

  4. How many cans of paint did it take, to apply two coats to a whole camper! I restored a 1953 30hp evinrude earlier this summer and it took three cans to get good coverage!

  5. Hmm..... the biggest paint consumer was white, which was also the cheapest at around $3.50 a can at the time I painted the rig.

    I think I used 10 cans of white (Wal-mart had these bonus sized cans at the time for the same price as the regular), and 3-4 cans of each of the greens.

    So, roughly 14 cans of paint (I also used a spray gun attachment handle for my cans, which made the painting more accurate) at $3.50 a can....

    $49 for the paint job.