Sunday, January 9, 2011

Kitchen Project: Adding a Stainless Steel Stove Backsplash

Well, once again, I'm doing a project post :). This project was done probably back in May or June of last year, but I can't remember the exact date, and I didn't take pictures of it until about ten minutes ago as I was baking a pizza in the oven.

When I originally bought my camper and for most of the time I owned it, the only back splash the stove really had was the three-inch tall piece of Formica that went with the counter top.

The rest of the wall was just the standard oak-wood grain paneling that made up all of the walls and cabinets in the camper.



This is okay, until you start full-timing in the camper and like to cook bacon or sausage, or anything that uses or produces some kind of grease. Even with a spatter screen, the natural vapor that comes from the cooking process gradually builds up on surfaces.

Trying to clean bacon grease build up out of porous wood paneling is a pain in the butt.

So, I was looking back one day through some of my photos I've collected of the Rociante, when I noticed a piece of regular sheet metal behind the stove in Steinbeck's camper.



That got me to thinking, and luck would have it, my original neighbors here at the park, the husband works at a sheet metal shop.

A little measurement and a bit of discussion later, and I now have a nice piece of heavy duty mirror polish stainless steel lining the wall behind my stove.




Clean up is a snap with a little bit of windex every now and then.

5 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Matt and a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon me while I drool! I so want this in our FEMA Gulf Stream Travel Trailer. Thank you for sharing (I'll be showing this to the hubby).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all, it was one of the easiest upgrades I did, since all I did was measure and drill a few holes in the one piece of sheet metal that the backsplash is made from.

    The backsplash is anchored in with screws with matching finish washers to make them nearly invisible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s a great stove there, Matt! It seems rather bulky and hard. I hope that the steel is coated and treated well to withstand damages and clinks. Well, it has to for all those cooking sessions in the camper. Anyway, thanks for sharing your kitchen project. Have a nice day!

    Bernice Parsons @ Badger Anodising

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great knowledge, do anyone mind merely reference back to it Best Stainless Steel Screws in 2018

    ReplyDelete