Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A reprise of the depths of Redneck Engineering

Back in May of 2007, I wrote a blog entry about the depths of Redneck Engineering and how I thought I had a grasp on it, but was proven wrong again.

In the opening of that entry, I posted this amazing truck camper combo:

image

 

At the time, I had no idea what the make up of this Camper/trailer hybrid was.   That changed today when an Annoymous poster recognized the style of the camper and brought it to my attention that it was a Franklin Truck camper.

Armed with that information and a little help from University of Guelph’s Digital Collections Library, I found this picture:

image

So, now we know that the camper portion of our mystery hybrid is a 1968 Franklin Truck camper, from the looks of it, it was a tripod style jack system to remove it from the truck.  This particularly beautiful example is on the back of a 1968 International Harvester Pickup Truck. 

So, thanks to my Anonymous Tipster, and thanks to the University of Guelph, that’s half the mystery down and half to go!

 

For those that want to peruse the University’s Digital Collection, go to: University of Guelph's Digital Collection.

 

If anyone has any information as to what comprises the rear trailer part of that mega truck camper, please let me know, I’d love to answer the mystery once and for all!

4 comments:

  1. I Like his choice of tie downs, lol. Can't really tell fromthe picture, if that is a table next to the truck, or a set of kick stands under the truck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there Matt.....have a nice Christmas, eh.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a foosball table to me :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this same 68' Franklin😊 It has blue grain white paneling throughout.Blue stove/oven. I loved that thing. On a 1977 Dodge Power Wagon 4WD green/white two tone.

    ReplyDelete